Friday, November 24, 2006


I am so busy at the moment but thought it was time I attempted to blog again. I tried to write up my weekend away earlier in the week and it wouldn't let me add any photos. It still isn't doing that so here is the write up and I will try and put my photos in an album and then post a link to it.
The weekend started after dialysis on Friday as we left on the train up to London. I catch this train a lot to Swindon so we were able to dash around to the correct platform at Bristol with no problems. We got up to London early Friday evening, had a snack and then lounged around as we were all tired, the weather was foul and we were waiting on a phone call from my brother as my nephew was having emergeny blood tests that day, because he is still jaundiced. They have to go back to get the results but they are pretty sure it is down to a lack of calories when he was first born and it should be ok and they are pretty sure nothing serious was going on.
One of the things I must just write before I talk about Saturday is that an Iraqi looking man joined our table at Reading on the train and he had a holdall with Iraq all over it and also a phone which had rather an inordinate amount of wires coming from it. Now I and my mum can be rather paranoid at the best of times but tried to act cool calm and collected as we speeded towards London. However as she later told me she had been busily looking at all his wires and I had been checking out his shoes and do feel mean for doing this. I guess these people have to put up with this and although it isn't fair I and I am sure many others can't help questioning it if something looks rather iffy.
Anyway onto Saturday: After the most fabulous breakfast we headed off to Selfridges in Oxford Street and it was the most overwhelming shop and we could have spent all morning in there. There was a rumour flying around that Fern Britton was in there but as she is doing a charity ride in India it obviously wasn't her, but dad reckoned he also saw her father the actor Tony round there too, so maybe it was lookalikes doing the rounds. We left Selfridges empty handed and checked out the rest of the street but in the end we didn't buy much, but I got a lush leather handbag and mum bought a Christmas present too.
Then after a brief lunch we called in at Harrods to see how the other half live and were pleasently suprised to see they had a gift shop which had reasonably priced items in it and we all got some gifts in there and then went round the rest of the store. The things we saw were an astronomical price and after lifting some crackers with china masks off the shelf-just for a look I nearly keeled over at the price-they were £499. I am just glad I didn't drop or break anything.
After Harrods we went back to the hotel for a rest before heading off for dinner and a look at the Christmas lights. This was the only slightly sour part of the trip as the hotel opposite don't serve dinner at a weekend!!! and the lights were really not that good. The traffic was also abisimal and after a Macdonalds as there was literally nowhere decent to eat unless you wanted to pay an exhorbitant amount we got the tube back and picked up a taxi for the last leg. As we were approaching the hotel a commotion seemed to be going on in the street next door, with police guarding the road and a group outside one of the buildings. The taxi driver told us it was where Michael Jackson was staying and we hadn't long been in the room when screams and alot of noise was heard. On rushing to the window a stream of black cars and vans pulled out with lots of flash photography and screaming people chasing them. They went in the other direction so I didn't get a proper look but I think the taxi driver was probably correct-or at least someone obviously very well known was there. We then vegged in front of the tv and had an early night to prepare for getting up the following day.
After another breakfast which was gorgeous we went to the London eye and for us all this is the highlight of our trip. As I said yesterday the picture taken of me was on the way up and also included all the wheels' mechanism but there were excellent views from all sides. Then it was time to grab a bite to eat and head back to get our train home.
I have to say that although not going to Lanzarote was a huge disappointment it was well worth it to experience this weekend. The London eye was a particular highlight and if we go again we are going to try it at night next time.
I have alot on in the next few weeks leading upto Christmas so this year the festive season will hopefully give me a chance to recharge my batteries. I have an assignment due in the week before Christmas and then we do get some time off from the course. I got my first assignment back today and it wasn't exactly what I wanted but it was a good pass so I am trying not to dwell on it too much.


Karoline said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend Michelle, there were quite a few of us in London that weekend :)

Scully said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time Michelle. I look forward to seeing photos...oh and your assignment mark was great so you should celebrate!!

Nicola said...

WOW!! I'm still catching my breath from reading about your trip! Sounds like you had a very busy weekend! Take it easy now!